Happy New Year! 2016 review

Now that the year is over it's again that time to start looking back in see how things went overall. Personally, even though I didn't accomplish what I wanted, I feel that this year brought a lot of things into my poker career. I still believe things could've gone better if Unibet was still available in my country and that set me back quite a bit but no need to hang up on such matters.



In the very last months of 2015 and the beginning of 2016 I managed to go from €80 to over €700 while playing at Unibet, went from NL4 to NL10 and two unsuccessful shots at NL25. All while getting my first experience playing this game with a coach. Not being able to use HUDs on Unibet was replaced with live sessions and I'm happy to say that I picked quite a few things from him and my game improved overall. Fast forward to June, when Unibet stopped working in my country and finished my contract with my coach, got the opportunity to play with yet another great player which is my current situation.

Sadly enough a couple of weeks into my new contract things started to go downhill. The new site I was playing in had way too little traffic and couldn't table select properly (was playing after work hours), so I started digging into new options. With Unibet out of the way and some free time at work I decided that the best solution was playing on a different site, and because I was playing during work hours the time zone wasn't an issue anymore. So I began to play again at 888 and went from a good start to nearly busting completely. Part of it was that I was kind of putting too much pressure on myself for no reason, it wasn't until recently that I started getting out of that hole into making some money.

Today was the last session of the year and after the good start I had to settle with breaking even for the day. One of my old issues still is that I tend to overplay hands way too much and more recently against fish. When there's someone I consider a bad player I just don't give them credit at all and even though sometimes that's ok, there are others when I just value bet myself to hell. There is some improvement in my game and I feel I'm table selecting far better than before, but the overplaying stuff is really hurting me overall so that's the first thing to work on in the upcoming year. Still having some troubles with 3bet pots and not contesting small pots more frequently. Today alone I made some terrible mistakes because of some missclicks and missreads, probably because I started playing 6 tables again so I'll probably drop down to 4-5 again.

In terms of goals I haven't defined anything very clearly. On the top of my head would be to start taking shots at NL25, so I'll start doing some heavy grinding next week (final week of vacations) to try and get as high as possible with my BR. In the meantime I have to set a target goal for that shot, depending on my current motivations it could be $500 or $600 before I take a 3-5 buy-in shot. Not thinking about setting monetary goals just yet, just focus on the grind. Also will take serious the whole getting in shape thing, but that would be after my unavoidable knee surgery. I'll take sometime during next week to write a post exclusively about the goal for next year.

Another important thing to think about is getting a new laptop, in the meantime I'll just have to continue borrowing my mom's. Neteller was another bummer this year after they decided to not provide the prepaid cards to my country, still trying to figure out another option to use my poker money when the time comes. Will probably take the day off tomorrow, since I've been grinding non stop for a couple of weeks now. Happy New Year everyone and gl at the tables!

Comments

Popular Posts